Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Currently - September 2014


Pretty new to the teaching blogosphere, so I'll start with an introduction.  My name is Natalie.  I've been a paraeducator for 3 years and an intern teacher for 5 months.  Currently pursuing my M/S credential.

My last school was not the best fit for a first year teacher.  9 kids in a 6th-10th M/S autism class, with 4 students needing 1:1 aides and 1 guy needing 2:1 support.  Heavy aggression.  I took a head butt to the face, suffered a concussion, and was out for 2 weeks.  A few weeks ago, I got called into HR after school and was informed that I wasn't meeting their expectations and was being laid off.  I loved the students and the faculty, but the turnover and burnout rate at that NPS was very high, so I didn't fight it.

All that aside, I really do love teaching and I love special ed.  Having grown up with learning disabilities and mental illness myself, I empathize with the kids and I refuse to be the adult who gives up on a child.  My blog is all about keeping your head above water in trying times.  Basically, teach happy!

As my currently suggests, I am currently building my teaching portfolio and interviewing.  The Job Hunting Teacher Series on Mindful Rambles has been very helpful, but if anybody else has some advice for me, I'm all ears.

Join the link-up at Oh Boy 4th Grade.

Teach happy!

3 comments:

  1. You picked awesome places to visit! We don't have a Dress Barn...I need to check them out online!

    Literacy Without Worksheets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louis CK is my absolute favorite! I saw him in St. Louis a few years ago, and it was seriously the best show I've ever seen. Have fun!

    glamourandgluesticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting Australia would be awesome! I would have to save all my money up for that trip, because I would have to fly first class. I heard the flight is super long over there and I am a horrible flier!!!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete